Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tip #4 - How to add a Section Symbol

There are two ways to add the "section symbol" (§) to documents in word.  The case by case way and the macro way.

In the case by case way, you need to click on "insert" then "symbol."  Then click on the "special characters tab."  The § symbol will be located in the list window.  Click "insert" and you're done.  Check out these illustrations!




But perhaps you don't want to do this every time you need the section symbol.  If that's the case, you can copy and paste the symbol every time you need it or you can create a macro for it.

To create a macro, go back to the symbol popup screen and click "shortcut key."  In the next window, figure out what combination of keys you'd like to press to make the section symbol appear.  I've chosen "alt-S."  Click "assign" and you're all done. 






Works for the paragraph symbol (¶), too!




5 comments:

  1. You can actually use the manual way, then set I as an auto correct. I set it so that when I type SS it is replaced with the section symbol. You set it up once and you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can also press Alt+0167

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.legal notes

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Sometimes I feel like if you just watch things, just sit still and let the world exist in front of you - sometimes I swear that just for a second time freezes and the world pauses in its tilt. Just for a second. And if you somehow found a way to live in that second, then you would live forever.” GPW Law

    ReplyDelete